View of Marienplatz from the Town Hall Tower, 2019
Marienplatz with advertising for the European Football Championship , 2021
Hugendubel bookstore at Marienplatz, 2021
Galeria Kaufhof at Marienplatz, 2021
View of the town hall: The pedestrian zone begins with Kaufingerstrasse at Marienplatz.
Marienplatz forms the center of the east-west axis between Isartor and Karlsplatz. On the northern side of the square, the New City Hall was built between 1867 and 1909 by the architect Georg von Hauberrisser in the neo-Gothic style. On the eastern edge, the Old Town Hall closes the square. After World War 2, many historic buildings around the square were destroyed and Marienplatz was redesigned in the 1960s and 1970s. The main building of the Hugendubel bookstore was built on the south side, and at the end of the 1960s the old Roman-Mayr department store was demolished and replaced by a new building that still houses the Kaufhof today. It was not until the 1970s that Marienplatz became car-free in the wake of the Olympic Games, and the Kaufingerstrasse/Neuhauser Strasse pedestrian zone was created. In the inner courtyard of the New City Hall is the entrance to the City Hall Gallery, where every year from January to March the PlanTreff organizes a large exhibition on a theme of urban planning and development under the motto "Zukunft findet Stadt" ("Future Finds City").
Michael Nagy/LHM, LHM, Florian Leckert
Die Standorterkennung ist fehlgeschlagen.
Bitte prüfen Sie die Standortfreigaben Ihres Browsers und/oder die Systemeinstellungen Ihres Gerätes.